Thursday, July 06, 2006

Regret

When a Canadian sincerely apologizes, they will often say:

"That was my fault, I'm so sorry."



However, when a Haitian sincerely apologizes, they will say:

"Mwen regrèt, Pa fot mwen"
Literally, this translates to:

"I'm sorry, but it's not my fault."
But it actually seems to mean:

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean for that to turn out this way/ I didn't do it on purpose"

I wonder if my friends think I'm always saying,
"I'm sorry you don't like it, but tough luck, that's what I did"

?
.....................................................................................................
I posted that picture here because I'm truly sorry for what I see in it. I'm the only girl. When I went to Haiti it was with the intention of empowering women. Whether you call yourself a feminist or think that women now have unfair advantages compared to men in Canada, few would argue that women in Haiti are treated fairly. (So few, that I'm not even going to bother backing up that statement with examples. Contact me if you want some) I wanted to help change that by giving at least a few women technical positions, (and sometimes, moolah!) but I got distracted and tired and didn't follow through. And so you see this picture here, which is still really awesome in that all those men came for two days of training in health, sanitation and filter use. It’s awesome that when I followed up with them most were still really excited about being Community Stewards and had convinced neighbours to buy filters and checked to see how they were being used. It’s awesome because I'm wearing my pretty sunflower teaching clothes from Kelly and Rose. AND it’s awesome because Jean-Renaud (in red) is teaching and very patiently answering questions.

But, no women.

My fault/Pa fot mwen.

No comments: