Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The most wonderful picture of the day


This picture is curtesy of livejournal Haitian community (featured in links to right).

You will notice there are also quite a lot of other Haitian links, and not much else.

I am not unignorant of Haitian affairs, but I certainly am more ignorant of everything else, and I am concerned about this.

1-Am I distracted from more urgent problems, such as Darfur, Burma, even Afghanistan?
2-Am I actually in love with Haiti, or simply an addict?
3-Can I do anything to make it better there, or am I so ignorant & prideful that the first rule, the "Do No Harm" rule, would be better translated as "VT GO HOME"?

All of this is, I am sure, a part of reverse-culture shock, but I feel like I need more knowledge of that too. Shouldn't I be getting better yet? I have been back as long as I was away.

My roommate, who went through all of this already, gets frustrated with me often, because I hold my ideas too closely, they are the only babies I have here to hold, and so I am angered when she tries to take them and hold them to the light of reason. I try to tell her to give me time to be angry, that I am also listening and will tomorrow agree with her, but this doesn't make it any easier to deal with me when I'm bichy NOW, I'm sure.

Especially when sometimes, eg literacy and what language it should be in, I don't come round to her way of seeing things the next day. I am not ready to condemn Creole to an oral language only. I should do research and see that her opinion is the wise one, but I don't. I don't know why not, although partly I don't really know where to start, and I am tired and distracted by all the other things I feel I should know.

So instead I sleep, and Wormwood's successor drinks happily.

Do those of you in education, or wherever, have suggestions on what I should study to better understand education and literacy?

No comments: