
I got hooked on Wyclef Jean when I was in Haiti, although mostly on his creole stuff, I'm still not big on English rap. (My friend Eric has a quote, "Bad rap gives good rap a bad rap" that is about as much as I normally think on the subject) I have seen his charity "Yele Haiti" around Port-au-Prince, as well as his face on posters for a terrible soda pop, but still don't know much.
An interesting interview with him: http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features
/showtime/2006/aug/25/showtime-25-08-2006-001.htm
but note what the Haiti anti american newsnet has to say about his Uncle:
http://www.haitiaction.net/News/Storm/ERNESTO/8_25_6.html
1 comment:
Another hurricane warning eh? boo. it seems so distant now, but I remember when hurricain warnings actually impacted my life....but I returned to Ottawa on the train today, it was a slow withdrawl, the other students and I were speaking a mix of french and english, slowly trying to disentangle the two as we raced towards ontario...and it occured to me how different my experience in Haiti would have been if I had the skills then that I have now. Mainly, some ability to speak French. I know that you and I had different experiences because of that. I find it funny though that someday maybe I could understand your perspective, since I could go back as a French speaker, but you will never have the option of understanding what it is to be ignorant, unable to communicate. Funny how that goes, just as Wycliff can now understand what it means to be wealthy, those of use who've always been rich (aka, Canadian) can never fully comprehend what it is like to have nothing. Sad, in many ways. That the poor have hope of understanding the rich but the rich will never understand the poor. It's like the game of asshole we were playing on the game, us oldsters teaching a somewhat innocent 17 year old how to play...she ended up being the asshole...and couldn't get out of it. Once condemed to a crappy situation, it just becomes that much more difficult to exit it.
And that's more of a ramble than I meant :) But I'm home, and looking at furniture in the classefieds, trying to figure out what I/we need. Talk soon.
Post a Comment