I just made a kwi- a hollowed out calabas/gourd which is used as a bowl. I’ve made them before, but this time I think I may have done it almost right and almost by myself. I always thought that it was a matter of cutting it open, scooping out the gunk, and we! You’re serving salad ayitièn at your cousin’s wedding. Not so, it turns out. First one scores the gourd with a knife, then one goes along with the knife and a rock and hammers a crack along that line. Then one cuts through the crack, before finally tearing it open. Usually it’s not cut exactly straight, so one has to cut all the sharp or bumpy edges away. I couldn’t manage to get this part right- rather afraid of cutting off my hand or foot swinging at it like I was shown, so this little 8 year old girl did it for me.
The next step is removal of gunk, which goes pretty much as you’d expect. (Take spoon, scoop.) One must be very careful to scrape all of the “fruit” out, and the little girl had to help me finish this part of mine too. After that, one must rub the gourd with a lime to cure it, or something. I don’t understand exactly, but I guess the inside will turn black if you don’t. After that the gourd just needs rinsing with water and time to dry- two or three days- and then one has made a kwi.
As well as making the kwi, I screwed up yesterday. Or maybe I didn’t as far as the rules of the mission go, but as far as the rules of Haitian culture goes, I did. A staff member came by to charge his cell phone early in the morning just as mom and I had prepared breakfast, and after I’d finished my business with him he sat down on the bench and sat. I now think he was waiting for me to to invite him to share our breakfast- simple oranges and coffee, nothing that would be too costly to intrude on. It just didn’t occur to me though, even though I know the culture is to share (especially food), I was with my mom and in my North American mindset and completely zoned, and eventually he just left. Ooops.
He came back later to pick up the cell phone and I was working at my gourd, and he told me to rub it with lime so I guess he forgave me and remembered that I’m just an ignorant blanc who doesn’t know any better.
Except I do. It’s a part of my culture to share food too. Our friend was visiting to use the computer this evening and dinner was ready just a bit after he arrived so we invited him to eat with us, and had a very enjoyable evening. I really enjoy sitting around food and talking, and that is why it is so sad that I missed the chance to visit with our technician on his day off.
No comments:
Post a Comment