
An orphanage that I visited in Haiti has since built a school. I think that is neat, because the orphanage kids will not get lower quality education, nor be completely isolated from their peers who are not institutionalized. The community students also get a chance to go to school, which is exciting. (Schools aren’t free once you factor uniforms & books (and often in indebted countries, tuition), so many Haitian children don’t attend.)
In exciting news, their latest update included the following bit of information:
A child, Tia, in the Twillingate area of Newfoundland, at age 5, saw a child sponsorship program on TV and with tears on her face ran to her father wanting to help the children who did not have what she had - food, clothes and medical help, etc. Seeing Tia's passion for the children, inspired her father, Randy Hann, an artist, to do a drawing of his daughter, Tia, with tears on her face holding the globe. This drawing is called "Please ... No More", and is on sale at the art shop of Randy and his family in Twillingate. All sales from the drawing have since been used to fund child support programs.
The Orphanage director was in Newfoundland visiting family, and met with the Hann family, who will now partner with HATS-Haiti to use the funds from the sale of this drawing "Please . . No More" to help start a lunch program for the school children from the community . That’s pretty cool- amazingly generous of Mr Hann, and the existence of generous people makes me happy, so I wanted to advertise for him here. (Although I don't support organizations who give away tiny amounts of the profits they've made from labourers, this is a different sort of fish, I hope)
No comments:
Post a Comment