Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I feel that "I feel" is unfortunate when ubiquitous

Since I came to Ottawa I've started saying "I feel that" all the time, and it's been annoying me. Now another vote towards change:

I have been thinking about our real views of authority in the church. I believe, like good Christians should, that the Bible is authoritative in matters of faith and life. But as I have been discussing different issues with people, I notice a new authority emerging among Christians. It is summed up in the phrase, “I feel that…” It doesn’t matter if the feeling runs counter to the Scripture, it seems to be authoritative. This is a recipe for disaster in people’s lives and in the church. The Wesleyan theological tradition has four criteria for determining truth. It is like a baseball diamond where home plate is Scripture. If it can’t cross that plate there is no score. The other criteria are: tradition, reason and experience. “I feel that”, is just a lazy way of justifying one’s opinions without having to think about them.
(Taken from my Pastor's email, "Looking Forward to Sunday" on Tuesday July 10th, 2007)

No comments: