Sunday, June 24, 2007

Literature 422- kid's books for you

Hey Jenanne , this post’s for you!

When I was in second year college, my mom took me for a portrait, and I finally convinced her to have the background be Winnie-ther-Pooh. I’m not sure how I managed this; she refused to give the pictures out to anyone. It is with some reluctance that, knowing this, I post this portrait, as it flatters neither my intellect nor my features. I don’t know that either of those deserve acclamation, so I’ll post this and just hope my mom forgives me, as there is one feature which begs for acclaim:

The beautiful cover of Babushka’s Mother Goose, by Patricia Polacco. The last time I went to the library, I somehow ended up in the children’s section, and ended up with two armloads of late-fines a-growing. I feel compelled to inform you of three.

  1. Harlem, a poem by Walter Dean Myers (pictures by Christopher Myers, 1997)

I want to decorate my room with the pictures in this book; I want to know Harlem natives so I can decorate my ears with the words of this book, so I can share with them its sense of joy (and sometimes, frustration.)

In storefront temples
Jive and Jehovah artists
Lay out the human canvas
The mood indigo

….

Caught by a full lipped, full hipped
Saint washing collard greens in a cracked
Porcelain sink
Backing up Lady Day on the radio

….

A huddle of horns and a tinkle of glass, a note
Handed down from Marcus to Malcolm to a brother
Too bad and too cool to give his name

  1. The Emperor’s New Clothes. I read this to my two best friends, and one suggested it should be read to the staff at her (professional office) job. Turns out, the stories we knew as children, society hasn’t really learned, and as an adult this story was as funny and important as when I read it twenty years ago. Next time I’m feeling stressed about clothes or appearances or fitting in, I’m going to read this rather than watch TLC.

  1. Babushka’s Mother Goose, by Patricia Polacco, is exactly what it sounds like: Eastern European versions of classic nursery tales. It is fun to read such near-familiar, foreign lines.

Diadushka Planted a Turnip
The turnip grew and grew until it was very very big
Diadushka went to pick it.
He pulled and pulled,
But he could not pull it out!
So he called Babushka.

Babushka pulled Diadushka,
And Diadushka pulled the turnip.
They pulled and pulled,
But they could not pull it out!
So they called…

It is, as you can tell, especially fun to read aloud, and, as I hope you can see from the cover, especially enjoyable to sit and look. Jenanne- I’m sorry it’s not Ukrainian, but I’m sure you’ll love this book all the same!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay! thank you so much, Val! these are all beautiful. i love patricia polacco -- she's done some other amazingly lovely russian/polish/ukrainian stories... i haven't read this one yet, but i need to track it down!