Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Skeptic

I was catching up on a Haitian Mailing list I’m a part of:

“These are inhuman hatred acts towards not only a Haitian man and his son but towards the whole nation of Haiti, based on generalized ethnic prejudices.”

I rolled my eyes and sighed at the sensationalism of the writer. The whole nation? Really? Couldn’t it just be a slight against two men?

Then I remembered what acts were being discussed, and I repented of my prejudice. The story really does seem to show prejudice against Haiti as a country. A man is arrested, apparently, while entering America legally with a legal passport, his medicine is thrown out, (“his son is told he will be given ‘American equivalents.’”) and he dies.

A man with a passport and family in the country he is trying to enter dies in custody. I roll my eyes.

Something is wrong.

Maybe “generalized ethnic prejudices” aren’t so far-fetched.

The man was a Baptist minister, and Grandfather of a prominent Haitian writer, although that only makes the case more high-profile, it doesn’t actually prove the accusations true… but they deserve my researching further before rolling my eyes and going on to the next story of educational abuse.


Original story at : http://www.nchr.org/irp/Timeline.htm

The comment I quote from is part of a mail list, and not, as far as I know, available anywhere else.
The picture is from someone else's Haiti blog.

No comments: