Thursday, April 10, 2008

I went to a wonderful wedding


(not a wedding picture: Photo by Per-Anders Pettersson/Getty Images)

Hopefully I will write about it, and how nice my whole trip was, another day. Be it known that it did make me happy, even though I was reading a frustrating book. I will continue trying to be informed but focus also on love... we'll see how that goes.






From: The End of Poverty: Economic Possibilities for Our Time by Jeffrey D.
Sachs, foreword by Bono (Penguin Books, 416 pages, $27.95)

Malawi made proposals to the international community to help Malawianstry
to reach about a third of the total infected population (about 300000) with
ant-AIDS drug treatment within a five year scale up period.Yet international
processes are cruel. The donor governments toldMalawi to scale back its
proposal sharply because the first proposalwas "too ambitious and too costly"
the next draft was cut back to amere hundred thousand on treatment att hte
end of five years. Eventhat was too much. In a tense five day period the
donors prevailed onMalawi to cut another 60 percent from the proposal, down to
fortythousand on treatment. This atrophied plan was submitted to theGlobal
fund to fight AIDS, TB and Malaria. Incredibly, the donorsthat rund the
fund saw fit to cut back once again. After a longstruggle, Malawi received
funing to save just 25 000 at end of fiveyears - a death warrant from the
international community for thepeople of this country.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

So...you're reading Jeffrey Sachs. Then, clearly, you're also mandated read William Easterly. Kipling's "White Man's Burden" infuriated me back at 17, but I find Easterly's version rather refreshing.

In the debate that these two authors epitimize, I tend to think that you and I tend to take different sides, but they are not a complete dichotomy. WBM is on my bookshelf, I'll let you know when I'm done and move onto Sachs myself - both were recent aquisitions on my sojourn south of the border.

In the meantime - I'd love to see wedding pictures :)

-Nik